Wednesday, November 24, 2010

THANKSGIVING CRAFTS FOR CHILDREN

Thanksgiving is is a great time to encourage the children to participate in the festivities. Being the guest of my of my son and daughter-in-law's house at Thanksgiving gives me the opportunity to play and spend special time with my grandchildren. We like to do art projects together as I am an artist and when they come to Grandma's house that is what we do.

Thanksgiving day is no different because as soon as they see me they want to do crafts. We use this opportunity to create name tags for the table setting. Just a little colored construction paper and a few crayons with a little glue is all that is needed.  Actually you can fold the paper into a triangle shape without the use of glue if you want. My 3 grandchildren work very hard to make a special name tag for each of the family member that is attending the dinner. They spend about an hour working quietly and feel they are included in helping with the festivities.

12 Thanksgiving Foamie Turkey Pins Group Project Kit - Fun for Kids & ScoutsCrafts For Thanksgiving-Trd/PbDefinitive Guide To Thanksgiving Crafts - Learn How To Make Wonderful Crafts That Can Used To Decorate Your Home And Also Wowing Your Guest To Spruce Up ... Festival As A Gift! (62 Pages) AAA+++Activity TV: Thanksgiving Fun V.1

They really are proud when you take notice of the work they put into your name tag. I have saved them every year as they are very special to me. This is something new that we added to our family tradition. As we work on the name tags we talk about the things we are grateful for and the meaning of  Thanksgiving.

We also try a new recipe each year which started with my daughter-in-law and me but now that the children are 7 and 9 they want to help cook. I let them decide what they wanted to add to the dinner and they came up with this unique idea. Initially we made designs out of sugar cookies then decorated them. This year they decided they wanted to make a special cookie for each family member creating  a design of something that reminds them of that particular family member. This is when they really surprise me.

All I can say is out of the mouth of babes comes that youthful honesty. We use a knife and with grandma's help we shape the cookie with what they decide. I am always surprised at what they associate with each family member. We laugh and have a great time and I am thankful for these special moments with my grandchildren. Have a Great Thanksgiving and in the spirit of the day be thankful for all you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment