Sunday, March 13, 2011

Memories Are Very Valuable

You work hard in life to buy things to make your life more comfortable but you can't take things with you when you die. Life is really very short but you only really grasp this thought when you are older. Most of the objects you collect are lost eventually as no one appreciates them like you did after you are gone.

You can sometimes tell when someone was alive during the depression as they seem to hold on to everything. This may be due to fear of being without or being poor. The one thing money cannot buy is eternal life. Most objects you buy need to be a part of the memories or they will be sold and the work it took to purchase the object will only be priceless if it is remembered.

After my mother-in-law past away I began to realize that all anyone really cared about was things of high value like antiques etc.. What may have contained precious memories that she treasured held no meaning to anyone but her. Some of  the objects that others bought for her birthday or Christmas they quickly taken because it was something they wanted for their home.

The things she worked so hard for were now just junk that no one cared about. The price she paid for each small object by working until she was 80 years old now held no monetary value. Selling these things were hard as we knew what they meant to her when alive but others did not.

I realized that I would rather have just a small amount of things for my family to get rid of when I die than to spend all my time working for things that one day will be sold at a garage or estate sale for pennies on the dollar. I actually felt guilty for selling them as were priceless to her. The memories we not of what she had bought but how she lived life and the love she shared with each of us.

Spend you money creating memories that will live on. The one object I kept of my Grandmother's was an old Singer Sewing machine with a push pedal and later was transformed to electric by my Grandfather. She sewed clothes for 8 children on it and taught me how to sew doll clothes. If this sewing machine could talk the stories it could tell.

This sewing machine means a lot to me as it reminds me of my grandparents and their large farm in Okarche, Oklahoma. After I am gone I hope to give it to my grandchildren but I will have to sew with them with on it so they will have memories attached to it. If not the memory dies here and it will be sold at an estate auction as an antique without anyone knowing the history behind this old Singer Sewing machine.

It had to be one of Singers first models and if it breaks down which is very possible I am sure the memory will end. It will end in the garbage dump or sitting in an antique shop for many years. This is how I know whether an object will bring happy memories and is worth saving. I am tired of spending my money on useless things and I want to use my money to create memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment