Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Halloween Costumes-Memories

It's too bad if you do not have a grandmother like mine. She was a magical seamstress and could create a great Halloween costume like magic. When I was 11 years old I told her that I wanted to be Robin, Batman's partner. She watched the show for 5 minutes and the next morning she had created a costume of Robin down to the last detail. I had the mask, cape, shoes, exact colors and I was a hit at the Halloween party that year.

The next year I wanted to be Genie off of "I Dream of Genie". She again watched the show for 5 minutes and the next morning, like magic there was the costume on the kitchen table. What a grandmother to have. She even had a heart for my belly button. The fabric was gold silk and the arms and legs were made from a netted  fabric. The head dressing was exactly like Genie wore on the show. I must say that I looked exactly like Genie. It was the best and most original costume that Halloween.

The only problem was this particular Halloween in Oklahoma happened to be very cold and rainy so a coat covered my beautiful costume as I went trick and treating from house to house. I wore that costume many times after Halloween as it was great for playing dress up. I was the envy of all my friends. My grandmother was gifted with a unique talent of sewing and without her magic I would have been just wearing a store bought costume like everyone else. Being unique adds to the excitement of Halloween.


Memories of my grandmother will always hold a special place in my heart. I hope all of you could be so lucky to have a grandmother like mine. She had magic in her fingers and a talent that is hard to find today. What costume are you going to wear for Halloween this year? It is time to start deciding on what you want to be as looking for the articles you need may take some time. If not you'll be the one wearing an ordinary, unoriginal costume, unless you have a magical grandmother like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment